Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Gammel Estrup

A large part of the interior decoration at the manor was carried out in the early 1700s by Christen Scheel and his wife, Augusta. After their wedding in 1716, the young couple moved into the manor, which had been empty for many years. They threw themselves into renovating the outdated main building. The ceilings were decorated with stucco. They bought expensive furniture in Denmark and overseas. Panels, doors, and window seats were richly decorated. They had portraits of the family painted by contemporary artists and the best rooms were decorated with valuable wall hangings. Together, the young couple created a home worthy of high nobility.

  We had a lovely day here.  Spent quite sometime looking at all the beautiful artifacts on display.

the old clock in the hall


                                             Tim dresses up in the armour.

the linen cabinet

the plaster work was amazing.  I would love it in my home!

some of the weird skeletons of things that had been caught, shot or trapped. Rather gruesome.  I have no idea what this animal is or was.

One of many beautiful chandeliers
 
 
 
 
The beautiful library.  It is a round room. 





many old books, some dating back hundreds of years
It is such a beautiful room.

 The green room was painted with arsnic so there was a message saying not to touch the wallpaper... I read it after I touched the wallpaper :O              


many beautiful dresses.
The original is framed. The paper that is on the wall is reproduced but also hand painted.




 so beautiful
The man mermaid wallpaper.  NOT my fav!
 
 
 


 I thought of Sabine when I saw this bed :)







the tapestry room

Very weird things in the hunts room.  Animals sea creatures etc.



They shot this deer. It will be dressed and a supper made.




heart strap


I have no idea what this is either.. Kind of looks like a bat skeleton.

This was the entrance to the basement.  It was very large down here.  Many many rooms. 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment